07 January, 2008

New Year's Resolution


This year I have resolved to dazzle and inspire you all with my shopping adventures in Paris. This new blog will feature insight into the best places for super bargains, the lives and loves of local artisans and the secrets behind some of the city's most alluring boutiques.

As I work on this blog I am also preparing an online boutique so that you, too, will be able to dress like a Parisian. The design is done and the webmaster is weaving his magic as I type this blog.

So now that we've been introduced, let's get down to business. My first and true obsession is Vintage shopping. I guess you could also call it antiquing because my interests merely begin with clothing and go on to everything from the carpets on my floors to the light fixtures hanging from the ceiling. So where do I head for a good fix of antique chic? The flea market, naturally.

I start small this year, at the Porte de Vanves weekend flea market, across the street from the Metro station of the same name. I love this market because it is large enough to be worth the visit, yet small enough to navigate with ease. And the crowds are manageable, always a plus.

As we arrive it is cold (it is winter, after all) with a crisp blue sky and the aroma of roasting chestnuts haunts the air. Nonetheless, the merchants are there in full force, and treasures abound. Linens, stereoscopes, carpets, buttons, books and crystal glasses are just some of the items that catch our eyes and our euros. The merchants are used to tourists and the bargaining can get ferocious. A tile salesman refuses to negotiate with us at all. It is a long block by the time you got to the first intersection, where (for me) the real fun begins.

First there is the food truck that serves a decent hot chocolate. Perfect for warming our frigid little mitts. And in front of that truck is my favorite clothing dealer at Vanves. I am so excited about the clothing that I forget to ask her her name, again. These things take time in France, so it is probably just as well. And now, party time! I score a luxurious Hermes tank top with a marine motif, an Alaia black knit summer dress, a 1980's Thierry Mugler vest with geometric cut outs and this (see photo) oh, so flattering, black knit, wool dress by Gillier. It is gorg. and everything is in perfect condition A great score for a morning. Lucky me.

The dress and all the other items described are for sale if you'd like to make one of them part of your Paris wardrobe, contact me, shoplikeaparisian@yahoo.com.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

Sylvie, I love your new blog and I'm looking forward to learning some Paris shopping secrets!

Darcy